In 1895 English engineer Sir Edmund Norton built the first winery in the valley south of the Mendoza River. Part of the old adobe house and a wing of the winery demonstrate the traditional construction of beamed ceilings with bamboo reeds under a zinc roof. In 1989 an Austrian businessman purchased the already huge company, and his son continues to modernize and expand the production of the 100-year-old vineyards. Tours with tastings and other vineyard experiences are
available with advance reservations, though these are typically limited to groups of two or more. A stylish on-site restaurant, La Vid ($$$), welcomes lunch guests from all over Mendoza, with or without a wine tour. Order the five-course tasting menu or opt for à la carte dishes, including rabbit lasagna and salmon ravioli.
RP15, Km 23.5, Perdriel, Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza, 5507, Argentina