- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Custard—That Oh So Dairy Treat
Because Wisconsin has a long and tasty history relating to the dairy industry, it should come as no surprise that great custard can be found here—frozen custard that is. We're talking about that thick and creamy, ice-cream-like dessert that contains egg yolks—not those wiggly, pudding-like dishes. Despite the fact that steamy hot days are in the minority in this Midwestern state, a substantial number of great frozen-custard stands can be found, especially in Milwaukee. The stands range from little mom-and-pops to large local chains with thriving businesses. Frozen custard is such a popular treat that most stands have billboards denoting the flavor of the day, lists of the flavors to come, and flavor-of-the-day hot lines. In general, the warmer the day, the longer the line is likely to be at a custard stand in Wisconsin; after just one taste, however, you'll agree it's worth the wait.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- Chicago: 4-Star Hotel over July Fourth Weekend JW Marriott Chicago