- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This plantation home was once part of the Mount Vernon estate, and from here you can still see the trees of the bowling green that fronted Washington's home. The mansion was built for Martha Washington's granddaughter, Nelly Custis, who married George Washington's nephew, Lawrence Lewis.
Completed in 1805, Woodlawn was designed by William Thornton, a physician and amateur architect who drew up the original plans for the U.S. Capitol and designed Tudor Place and the Octagon House in Washington, DC. Built on a site selected by George Washington, the mansion has commanding views of the surrounding countryside and the Potomac River beyond. In the tradition of mansions form this period, Woodlawn has a central passage that provides a cool refuge in summer.
Woodlawn was once a plantation where more than 100 people, most of them slaves, lived and worked. Guides explain about how the family entertained and architectural details of the house.
Also on the grounds of Woodlawn is the Pope-Leighey House. One of Frank Lloyd Wright's "Usonian" homes, the structure was built in 1940 as part of the architect's mission to create affordable housing. It was moved here from Falls Church, Virginia, in 1964, to save it from destruction during the building of Route 66. By design a small and sparsely furnished home, Pope-Leighey provides a stark contrast to Woodlawn.
- Address: 9000 Richmond Hwy., Alexandria, VA 22309 | Map It
- Phone: 703/780–4000
- Cost: $8.50 each for Woodlawn and Pope-Leighey House, combination ticket $15
- Hours: Mar.–Dec., Thurs.–Mon. 10–5; tours begin every half hr for each house; last tour at 4
- Website: www.woodlawnpopeleighey.org
- Location: Woodlawn
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I always get such helpful advice on the forums so I want to repay the favor by posting my trip report. Read more
My mom (62) and I (32) wanted to enjoy a long weekend away together over the MLK holiday. Read more
A few months ago, I made the drive south from Philadelphia to Florida. Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more