Northern Virginia Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Northern Virginia
Take a Moment to Reflect at Arlington National Cemetery: See Arlington House and its Washington view; learn about prominent early Virginia families: Washington, Custis, Randolph, and Lee. Visit the Tomb of the Unknowns, the Kennedy graves, and those of other famous Americans, all within these sacred grounds.
Get to Know the First President at Mount Vernon: Visit the historic plantation and learn about George Washington's many contributions as a farmer, patriot, general, and president. See his threshing barn, gristmill, distillery, and personal artifacts, and experience the new interactive displays.
Return to the First Shot of the Civil War: Explore the site of the first Civil War battle at Manassas National Battlefield Park in the peaceful Virginia countryside. A second Battle of Manassas lasted three days and resulted in 3,300 killed. (The Confederacy won both battles.)
Wonder at the Views in Great Falls: Visit the scenic fall line of the Potomac River, a barrier to upriver navigation that necessitated settlements at Georgetown and Alexandria and the Patowmack Canal, remnants of which are in the park, and later the C&O Canal.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe