- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
University of Virginia
University of Virginia Review
The University of Virginia is simply called "The University" by many associated with it, annoying its rivals. Unquestionably, though, it is one of the nation's most notable public universities, founded and designed by 76-year-old Thomas Jefferson, who called himself its "father" in his own epitaph. Even if you're not an architecture or history buff, the green terraced expanse called the Lawn, surrounded by redbrick, columned buildings, is inviting. The Rotunda is a half-scale replica of Rome's Pantheon, suggesting Jefferson's Monticello and the U.S. Capitol. Behind the Pavilions, where senior faculty live, serpentine walls surround small, flowering gardens. Edgar Allan Poe's room—where he spent one year as a student until debt forced him to leave—is preserved on the West Range at No. 13. Campus tours (daily at 10, 11, 2, 3, and 4) begin indoors in the Rotunda, whose entrance is on the Lawn side, lower level.
The University of Virginia Art Museum, one block north of the Rotunda, exhibits art from around the world from ancient times to the present day. Bayly Bldg., 155 Rugby Rd., 22904. 434/924–3592. Free. Tues.–Sun. noon–5.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I always get such helpful advice on the forums so I want to repay the favor by posting my trip report. Read more
My mom (62) and I (32) wanted to enjoy a long weekend away together over the MLK holiday. Read more
Planning a visit to the Virginia Beach area. Read more
· News & Features
Celebrate Presidents Day today with a trip to the plantation home of our third Commander-in-Chief, Thomas ... Read more