Bus and Rail Travel
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bus and Rail Travel
Finding your way around Salt Lake City is easy, largely because the city is laid out on an orthogonal grid. However, the city blocks are longer than in many other cities, so distances can be deceiving. Salt Lake has a very workable public transportation system. A Free Fare Zone for travel by bus covers a roughly 36-square-block area downtown and on Capitol Hill. A light-rail system, called TRAX, moves passengers quickly around the city and to the suburbs south of Salt Lake. There are 27 stations, originating from Salt Lake Central Station, where you can connect to FrontRunner (inter-county light rail), Amtrak, and buses. The north-south light-rail route stops at many landmarks, including Gateway, EnergySolutions Arena, Gallivan Center, Spring Mobile Ballpark (home of the AAA baseball team), Fashion Place Mall, and Rio Tinto Stadium (home of Real Salt Lake soccer) in Sandy. Eleven stations have free park-and-ride lots. The east-west route begins at the University of Utah and ends at Central Station. One-way tickets are $2 and can be purchased on the platform through vending machines. Two children under five can ride free with a paying adult. For $5 you can buy an all-day ticket good for unlimited rides on buses and TRAX. For trips that begin on a bus, you must purchase the day pass at selected UTA Pass outlets. For trips beginning on TRAX, day passes must be purchased at a ticket vending machine.
Bus and Rail Information
Utah Transit Authority (UTA). 801/743-3882 or 888/743-3882. www.rideuta.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $77.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Salt Lake City Hotwire
- $58 & Up: Cheap Salt Lake City Stay Save with Hotels.com, $14/night less
- Super Savings on Salt Lake City 5 Nts Htl + Air Fr $695 Travelocity
- $12.00 & up : Full Size rentals in Salt Lake City Hotwire
- $58.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Salt Lake City — $58 Hotwire