- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The nearest sizable city to the park in North Carolina is Asheville. Asheville is about 50 mi east of Cherokee and the Oconaluftee Visitor Center. It takes a little over an hour to get from Asheville to the Cherokee entrance of the park, via Interstate 40 and U.S. Highway 19. The closest sizable city to the park in Tennessee is Knoxville, about 40 mi west of the Sugarlands entrance, via U.S. Highway 441.
Coming either from the east or west, Interstate 40 is the main interstate access route to the Great Smokies; from the north and south, Interstate 75, Interstate 81, and Interstate 26 are primary arteries.
U.S. 441, also called Newfound Gap Road, is the main road through the park, and the only paved road that goes all the way through. It travels 31 mi between Cherokee and Gatlinburg, crossing Newfound Gap at nearly a mi high.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save $$ in Asheville: Book Fr $104+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $45/night less
- Book Now & Save! Asheville Fr $90+/Nt Travelocity
- $21.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Asheville Hotwire
- 3-Star Courtyard Asheville Fr $143+/Nt — $143 Hotels.com
- $18.95 & up : Compact rentals in Asheville — $19 Hotwire