Badlands National Park Feature
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Badlands National Park
Fossils: From the mid-1800s, the fossil-rich Badlands area has welcomed paleontologists, research institutions, and fossil hunters who have discovered the fossil remnants of numerous species from ancient days.
A world of wildlife: Badlands National Park is home to a wide array of wildlife: antelope, deer, black-footed ferret, prairie dogs, rabbits, coyotes, foxes, badgers.
Missiles: The Minuteman Missile Silo, located at the entrance to the park, represents the only remaining intact components of a nuclear-missile field that consisted of 150 Minuteman II missiles and 15 launch control centers, and covered over 13,500 square mi of southwestern South Dakota.
Stars aplenty: Due to its remote location and vastly open country, Badlands National Park contains some of the clearest and cleanest air in the country, which makes it perfect for viewing the night sky.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $81.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Rapid City Hotwire
- Grand Gateway on Sale: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $202+/Nt Expedia
- $24.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Rapid City Hotwire
- Visit Rapid City for Less: Hotels Fr $110+/Nt — $110 Travelocity
- $20.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Rapid City — $21 Hotwire