This historic house of worship was built in 1775 for a congregation established in 1638 by Roger Williams and his fellow Puritan dissenters. One of the finest examples of Georgian architecture in Colonia America, the church was built to seat 1,200 people and to this day is used for Brown University's baccalaureate ceremony. The 185-foot steeple was put up in 3½ days. The auditorium's large crystal chandelier from Ireland was installed in 1792. Self-guided tour booklets are available in multiple languages.
May 13, 2009
Very enjoyable old historic church, has plenty of tasteful detail, including a lovely crystal chandelier. Well worth a stop-in for its short self-guided tour.