Architect Horace Trumbauer modeled this graceful 48-room French neoclassical mansion and its grounds after the Château d'Asnières near Paris. The Elms was built for Edward Julius Berwind, a bituminous-coal baron, in 1901 and was one of the first in Newport to be fully electrified. At the foot of the 10-acre estate is a spectacular sunken garden. The Behind the Scenes tours, which offer a glimpse into the life of staff and the operations (such as the boiler room and kitchen) of the mansion, is one of the best of any of these mansion tours.
367 Bellevue Ave., Newport, Rhode Island, 02840, United States