The oldest house owned and maintained by the Preservation Society of Newport, the 1748 Hunter House served as the Revolutionary War headquarters of French admiral Charles Louis d'Arsac de Ternay after its Loyalist owner fled the city. Characterized by a balustraded gambrel roof and heavy stud construction, it is an excellent example of an early Georgian frame residence. The carved pineapple over the doorway was a symbol of welcome throughout Colonial America. A collection
of Colonial furniture includes pieces crafted by Newport's famed 18th-century Townsend-Goddard family of cabinetmakers and paintings by Cosmo Alexander, Gilbert Stuart, and Samuel King. The house is named after ambassador William Hunter, President Andrew Jackson's charge d'affaires to Brazil.