Rhode Island Feature
Top Reasons to Go
Mansions: See how the one-percenters lived during Newport's Gilded Age with a tour of Cornelius Vanderbilt's opulent 70-room "summer cottage" known as The Breakers.
Historic Street: Follow along Benefit Street on Providence's East Side for a mile of history and see ornate homes built by leading Colonial merchants.
Nature: Block Island is one of the most serene spots on the Eastern Seaboard, especially at Rodman's Hollow, a glacial outwash basin, where winding paths lead to the sea.
Sand: Take your pick from South County's numerous sugary-white beaches, including Scarborough State Beach in Narragansett.
Food Enclave: From food trucks to upscale dining, Providence has an exciting culinary scene fueled in large part by young Johnson & Wales University-trained chefs.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe