When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
July to October are the best times to wander the country roads in the Willamette Valley, exploring the grounds of its many wineries. Fall is spectacular, with leaves at their colorful peak in late October. Winters are usually mild, but they can be relentlessly overcast and downright rainy. Visitors not disturbed by dampness or chill will find excellent deals on lodging. In the spring rains continue, but the wildflowers begin to bloom, which pays off at the many gardens and nature parks throughout the valley.
International Pinot Noir Celebration. Wine lovers flock to McMinnville to sample fine regional vintages in late July and early August during the International Pinot Noir Celebration.
Oregon Bach Festival. Eugene hosts the world-class Oregon Bach Festival, with 19 summer days of classical music performances.
Oregon State Fair. In late August and early September the Oregon State Fair in Salem has 8,000 things to do, see, and taste, ranging from carnival rides, top-name concert performances, animals, carnival-style games, and bodacious rides. 503/947–3247. www.oregonstateparks.org.
Tigard Festival of Balloons. Look high in the sky for evidence of the colorful Tigard Festival of Balloons in June—hot-air balloons soar above the town throughout the weekend.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's