- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cape Blanco State Park. The westernmost point in Oregon and perhaps the windiest—gusts clocked at speeds as high as 184 mph have twisted and battered the Sitka spruces along the 6-mile road from U.S. 101 to the Cape Blanco Lighthouse. The lighthouse, atop a 245-foot headland, has been in continuous use since 1870, longer than any other in Oregon. No one knows why the Spaniards sailing past these reddish bluffs in 1603 called them blanco (white). One theory is that the name refers to the fossilized shells that glint in the cliff face. Campsites at the 1,880-acre park are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Four cabins are available for reservation. Cape Blanco Rd., follow signs from U.S. 101, Sixes, OR, 97476. 541/332-6774. www.oregonstateparks.org. Day use and Hughes House tour free; Lighthouse tour $2. Park daily dawn-dawn; lighthouse Apr.-Oct., Tues.-Sun. 10-3:30.
Humbug Mountain State Park. Six miles south of Port Orford, this park, especially popular with campers, usually has warm weather, thanks to the nearby mountains, which block the ocean breezes. Windsurfing and scuba diving are popular here. Hiking trails lead to the top of Humbug Mountain. The campground has 32 electrical ($20) and 62 tent sites ($17), and a hiker/biker camp ($5). Three electrical and four tent sites are accessible to the disabled. U.S. 101, Port Orford, OR, 97465. 541/332-6774 or 800/551-6949. www.oregonstateparks.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Quality Inn & Suites at Coos Bay in May: $102 & Up Expedia
- $37.20 & up : Midsize rentals in North Bend Hotwire
- $34.20 & up : Compact rentals in North Bend — $35 Hotwire
- $46.20 & up : Full Size rentals in North Bend — $47 Hotwire