- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Belleayre Mountain Ski Center, in the Catskill Forest Preserve, has one section for expert skiers and another for intermediates and novices. Of the 38 trails that vein the peak's 171 acres of skiable terrain, 22% are for beginners and 58% are for intermediate skiers; the vertical drop is 1,404 feet. The resort, owned by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, has 96% snowmaking capability, eight lifts, and more than 5 mi of cross-country trails. Families appreciate the laid-back atmosphere, while serious skiers seek out the great snow, grooming, and single- and double-black-diamond trails. Skiing and snowboarding instruction and rentals are available. Full-day peak-season lift tickets are $42. A shuttle transports skiers to and from nearby villages. From late April through October, the upper, lower, and cross-country areas offer biking tracks for beginners to experts; lifts aren't equipped for bikes, so you have to ride in both directions. From Memorial Day through Labor Day you may also swim, boat, and fish at Pine Hill Lake ($6 per car), where pedal boats, rowboats, and kayaks are for rent. A lift ($8 per person) takes you to the summit, from which you can hike or ride the lift back down. Belleayre hosts crafts, music, and other festivals, too. Belleayre Mountain Rd. off Rte. 28, Highmount, NY. 845/254-5600 or 800/942-6904. www.belleayre.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's