- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Garnet Hill Ski Lodge and Cross-Country Ski Center. Receiving more than 120 inches of snow a year, the center often has skiing into spring. It has 55 km (34 mi) of groomed cross-country-skiing trails, with 2 km (1 mi) lighted for night schussing. Lessons, rental equipment, and a ski shop are available; trail passes are $17. The on-property inn has lodge-and-ski packages. In summer, mountain biking becomes the focus ($5 trail pass). It's about 5 mi northwest of North Creek. 13th Lake Rd., North River, NY. 518/251-2444 or 800/497-4207. www.garnet-hill.com.
Gore Mountain Ski Center. Operated by the Olympic Regional Development Authority, this state-owned center has a 2,100-foot vertical drop, 68 alpine trails, 12 snowshoeing/cross-country-skiing trails, and 95% snowmaking coverage. You find some of the longest runs in the East here; the longest stretches 2.9 mi. Intermediate trails account for 60% of the terrain; novices have 10% and advanced skiers have 30%. A ski pass is $51–$71. From August to mid-October you can ride the Northwoods Gondola Skyride ($13) up the mountain, or hit the fairly challenging terrain on a mountain bike ($14 trail passes). Peaceful Valley Rd., North Creek, NY. 518/251–2411 or 800/342–1234. www.goremountain.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's