- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Inn at Irving Place
At a Glance
- charming property
- big rooms
- excellent breakfast and tea service
- Mario Batali's Casa Mono is downstairs
- rooms aren't flawless, with imperfections like older grouting
- street noise
Check Rates from our Partners
The Inn at Irving Place Review
Fantasies of Old New York—Manhattan straight from the pages of Edith Wharton and Henry James, an era of genteel brick town houses and Tiffany lamps—spring to life at this discreet, romantic inn. There is no sign outside the 1830 town house on Irving Place, a lightly trafficked street on the south side of Gramercy Park. One of the city's most famous tea salons, Lady Mendl's, is on the lobby level. Rooms have ornamental fireplaces, four-poster beds with embroidered linens, wood shutters, and glossy cherrywood floors, though they are getting a bit timeworn. The room named after Madame Olenska (a lovelorn Wharton character) has a bay window with sitting nook—this is one of the most memorable spots in New York, perfect for a special anniversary.
- Address: 56 Irving Pl., between E. 17th and E. 18th Sts. Gramercy Park, New York, NY 10003 | Map It
- Phone: 212/533–4600; 800/685–1447
- Website: www.innatirving.com
- Subway: 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R to 14th St./Union Sq.
- Location: Gramercy
- 5 rooms, 4 suites, 3 apartments.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After a 13-year absence from New York City, my husband and I decided to revisit this special place from November 21-25, to celebrate his birthday in the city where he was born. Read more
After too many quick jaunts to NYC just to hit up some museum exhibitions at haunts we'd already visited a million times before, we finally went to two we'd not been to, and I thought them worthy of a recommendatio Read more
A friend and I will be taking the metro north into NYC Jan 2014 on a Sat. Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more