- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Morris-Jumel Mansion Review
During the Revolutionary War, General Washington used this wooden, pillared 8,500-square-foot house (1765) as his headquarters, and when he visited as president in 1790, he brought along John Quincy Adams, Jefferson, and Hamilton. Inside are rooms furnished with period decorations—upstairs, keep an eye out for the hand-painted wallpaper (original to the house) and a "commode chair," stuck in a corner of the dressing room. Outside, behind the house, is a Colonial-era marker that says it's 11 miles to New York: a reminder of what a small sliver of Manhattan the city was at that time. East of the house is the block-long Sylvan Terrace, a row of crisp two-story clapboard houses built in 1882.
- Address: 65 Jumel Terr., north of W. 160th St.; between St. Nicholas Ave. and Edgecome Ave. Harlem, New York, NY | Map It
- Phone: 212/923–8008
- Cost: $5; guided tours $6
- Hours: Wed.–Sun. 10–4; guided tours Sat. noon
- Website: www.morrisjumel.org
- Subway: C to 163rd St.
- Location: Harlem
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
DH and i had not been to a Broadway show in ages, so we thought we would extend our family visit in NJ with an overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows, a Tuesday evening and Wednesday matinee performance. Read more
Thanks to the Fodor community for helping us plan our recent trip to New York City. Read more
I'm currently in NYC and I just got the best transportation deal.I got a tour of NYC with a personal driver for a very inexpensive price.The driver was very knowledgeable and polite.If you are interested Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more