- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Essex Street Market
Essex Street Market Review
Started in 1940 as an attempt by Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia to establish a place for street pushcarts and vendors (and thereby get them off the streets), the Essex Street Market was defined early on by the Jewish and Italian immigrants of the Lower East Side. After being run cooperatively by the merchants for years, the market was taken over by a private developer in 1992. Then in 1995, the New York City Economic Development Corporation assumed control and began a $1.5 million renovation and consolidation of the space. These days the market is reinvigorated and filled with small grocery stores, coffee shops, sellers of meat, fish, and gourmet cheeses, and even a barber and a botanica. Standouts include Saxelby Cheesemongers and local favorite Shopsins, an eccentric and strangely appealing restaurant that moved in here in 2007 after decades in the West Village.
- Address: 120 Essex St., between Rivington and Delancey Sts. Lower East Side, New York, NY 10002 | Map It
- Phone: 212/312–3603
- Hours: Mon.–Sat. 8–7, Sun. 10–6; vendors' hrs vary
- Website: www.essexstreetmarket.com
- Subway: F, V to Delancey St.; J, M, Z to Essex St.
- Location: Lower East Side
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thanks to the Fodor community for helping us plan our recent trip to New York City. Read more
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American winter. Read more
Planning a trip late June flying into Washington, DC, then driving to Philly, NY, and Boston (where we will fly home from). Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more