- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Japan Society Review
The stylish, serene lobby of the Japan Society has interior bamboo gardens linked by a second-floor waterfall. Works by well-known Japanese artists are exhibited in the second-floor gallery. Past shows have included the first American retrospective of Sakai Hōitsu, a samurai aristocrat turned Buddhist monk who dedicated his life to art and poetry; a display of artwork created by children from Tohoku after Japan's 2011 earthquake; and Points of Departure: Treasures of Japan from the Brooklyn Museum—more than 2,000 years of Japan's art-making history drawn from Brooklyn's renowned collection of Japanese art. In July, the museum hosts an annual film festival, Japan Cuts, showcasing contemporary Japanese cinema.
- Address: 333 E. 47th St., between 1st and 2nd Aves. Midtown East, New York, NY 10022 | Map It
- Phone: 212/832–1155
- Cost: $12 (gallery)
- Hours: Gallery Tues.–Thurs. 11–6, Fri. 11–9, weekends 11–5; building hrs vary
- Website: www.japansociety.org
- Subway: 6 to 51st St./Lexington Ave.; E, M to Lexington–3rd Aves./53rd St.
- Location: Midtown East
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
DH and i had not been to a Broadway show in ages, so we thought we would extend our family visit in NJ with an overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows, a Tuesday evening and Wednesday matinee performance. Read more
Thanks to the Fodor community for helping us plan our recent trip to New York City. Read more
I'm currently in NYC and I just got the best transportation deal.I got a tour of NYC with a personal driver for a very inexpensive price.The driver was very knowledgeable and polite.If you are interested Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more