Fodor's New York City 25 Best
The oldest continually operating restaurant in New York City (it opened in 1837), austere Delmonico's is steeped in cultural, political, and culinary history. Lobster Newburg and Baked Alaska were invented here—and are still served. Inside the stately mahogany-panel dining room, tuck into the classic Delmonico's steak, a 20-ounce boneless rib eye smothered with frizzled onions, and don't forget to order creamed spinach on the side. The cheesy spaetzle with pancetta is also sinfully sublime. The dining room gets busy early with an after-work Wall Street crowd, making reservations essential.
- Address: 56 Beaver St., at William St., Financial District, New York, NY, 10004-2436 | Map It
- Phone: 212/509–1144
- Website: www.delmonicosny.com
- Subway: 2, 3 to Wall St.; R to Whitehall St./South Ferry; 4, 5 to Bowling Green
- Location: Financial District
- Reservations essential
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Sun. No lunch Sat.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
A few of us bought tickets to go to a Mets game on July 4 as MLB was honoring the 75th anniversary of Lou Gehrig's speech (http://www.fodors.com/community/fodorite-lounge/75-years-ago-tomorrow-lou-gehrig-made-a-great-speech.cf... Read more
Part One Manhattan Day 1 Wednesday April 30, 2014 Spring reportedly had sprung in New York City and surrounding areas, so... Read more
Yesterday a van coming from NJ was stopped for a traffic violation. The driver mentioned he was in a hurry to get to a flea market to s... Read more