- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Two major interstates travel through southwestern New Mexico, I-10 from west to east and I-25 from north to south. U.S. 70 connects Las Cruces to Alamogordo and the southeast. From Albuquerque, the drive is about two hours to Truth or Consequences, three hours to Las Cruces. Silver City can be accessed from minor highways leading off I-10 and I-25. From Las Cruces, I-10 leads south to El Paso.
The quality of the region's roadways varies widely, particularly in remote rural areas. Drive with caution on the narrow highways, which particularly in mountainous areas have no shoulders. On minor roadways, even if paved, be alert for curves, dips, and steep drop-offs. If you veer too far into unexplored territory with primitive, unpaved roads, make sure you have a vehicle with high clearance and four-wheel drive, such as an SUV.
You can rent a car from one of the national agencies at either Albuquerque International Airport or El Paso International Airport. Avis, Hertz, and Enterprise have rental locations in Las Cruces. Auto dealerships in some communities rent cars.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe