- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bottomless Lakes State Park
Bottomless Lakes State Park Review
The lakes at Bottomless Lakes State Park were created when an ancient sea that covered the area 240 million years ago evaporated, leaving behind salt and gypsum deposits. Those deposits then slowly dissolved with accumulations of rain, and ceilings collapsed into sinkholes. Scuba divers, boaters, and swimmers now take advantage of the crystal-clear, spring-fed water. The main Lea Lake facility has a bathhouse with modern showers and restrooms, and paddleboats and paddleboards can be rented from late May to early September. A visitor center has exhibits of park history, geology, and geography; during the peak season, interpretive lectures are given in the evenings.
- Address: Off U.S. 380, 12 mi east of Roswell, turn south on NM 409 and continue 3 mi, Roswell, 88201 | Map It
- Phone: 575/624-6058
- Cost: $5 per vehicle
- Hours: Park daily 6 am--9 pm (day use). Visitor center late May--early Sept., daily 9--6; early Sept.--late May, daily 8--5
- Location: Roswell
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Swiss Chalet Inn Ruidoso in May: $126 & Up Expedia
- $87.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Ruidoso Hotwire
- $37.14 & up : Full Size rentals in Alamogordo Hotwire
- Summer on Sale! Save 10% on This Stay: Ruidoso - Midtown in May — $164 Save with Expedia, $16/night less
- $35.14 & up : Midsize rentals in Alamogordo — $36 Hotwire
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more