- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Petroglyph National Monument
Petroglyph National Monument Review
Beneath the stumps of five extinct volcanoes, this park encompasses more than 25,000 ancient Native American rock drawings inscribed on the 17-mi-long West Mesa escarpment overlooking the Rio Grande Valley. For centuries, Native American hunting parties camped at the base, chipping and scribbling away. Archaeologists believe most of the petroglyphs were carved on the lava formations between 1100 and 1600, but some images at the park may date back as far as 1000 BC. A paved trail at Boca Negra Canyon (north of the visitor center on Unser Boulevard, beyond Montaño Road) leads past several dozen petroglyphs. The trail at Rinconado Canyon (south of the visitor center on Unser) is unpaved. The rangers at the visitor center will supply maps and help you determine which trail is best for the time you have.
- Address: Visitor center, 6001 Unser Blvd. NW, at Western Trail Rd., 3 mi north of I-40 Exit 154; from I-25 take Exit 228 and proceed west on Montaño Rd. across the bridge, then south on Unser 1 mi, West Side, Albuquerque, 87120 | Map It
- Phone: 505/899-0205
- Cost: $1 weekdays, $2 weekends for parking at Boca Negra Canyon; access to rest of monument is free
- Hours: Daily 8--5
- Website: www.nps.gov/petr
- Location: West Side
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Look no Further! Albuquerque Hotels Fr $89+/Nt Travelocity
- May deal: Casas de Suenos Old Town Historic Inn Fr $167+/Nt Expedia
- Incredible Savings: 4 Nts The Blue + Air Fr $396 Expedia
- $8.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Albuquerque Hotwire
- Book Now & Save! Albuquerque Fr $86+/Nt — $86 Travelocity
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more