- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Although sparsely inhabited, this calm stretch of the Mighty Mo is becoming more and more popular with visitors. There's no shortage of outfitters and guides offering their services at competitive prices.
The Lewis and Clark Canoe Expeditions guided trips last from one to seven days and can include horseback riding. You can also arrange for canoe rentals and a guide-only service, in which you provide transportation and food for your escort. 812 14th St., Fort Benton, MT, 59442. 406/622-3698 or 888/595-9151. www.lewisandclarkguide.com.
The Missouri River Canoe Company, in the tiny town of Virgelle, provides canoe and kayak rentals by the day, outfitted excursions, and one- to four-day guided trips. Trips with lodging at Virgelle Merc, a restored homestead-era settlement with accommodations in cabins and B&B rooms, are also available. 7485 Virgelle Ferry Rd. N, Loma, MT, 59460. 406/378-3110 or 800/426-2926. www.canoemontana.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe