Nantucket Travel Guide
Plan Your Nantucket Vacation
At the height of its prosperity in the early 19th century, the little island of Nantucket was the foremost whaling port in the world. Its harbor bustled with whaling ships and merchant vessels; chandleries, cooperages, and other shops crowded the wharves. Burly ship hands loaded barrels of whale oil onto wagons, which they wheeled along cobblestone streets to refineries and candle factories. Sea breezes carried the smoke and smells of booming industry through town as its inhabitants eagerly took care of business. Shipowners and sea captains built elegant mansions, which today remain remarkably unchanged, thanks to a very strict building code initiated in the 1950s. The entire town of Nantucket is now an official National Historic District encompassing more than 800 pre-1850 structures within 1 square mile.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Nantucket restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Nantucket
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $275 -- Elegant 4-Diamond Boston Hotel, 15% Off Taj Boston
- $212 & up -- Boston 4-Star Hotel near Newbury St., 45% Off Sheraton Boston
- $157 & up -- Boston: 4-Star Waterfront Hotel, 45% Off The Westin Boston Waterfront
- $237 & up -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel, 50% Off The Westin Copley Place, Boston
- $195 & up -- Kimpton Hotels near Fenway Park, Save 15% Kimpton Hotels
The small island of
With its long stretches of pristine beach,...Read more
After a couple sticky and steamy weeks of...Read more
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just back from a week on Cape Cod, June 14-21. I think we picked the perfect time to go! There were no crowds, no problems with traf... Read more
A Guide Named Sue (that's me) left NYC for a brief trip to Boston and Cambridge via train. Had a wonderful time. Details and links he... Read more