Little Lyford Lodge and Cabins
At a Glance
- woodsy getaway
- cedar sauna in winter
- loaner snowshoes
- winter access is by cross-country ski, snowshoe, or snowmobile transport (for a fee)
- few indoor amenities
Little Lyford Lodge and Cabins Review
When you want to get away from everything, head to this rustic wilderness retreat on 66,500 acres of conservation land, part of the Appalachian Mountain Club's lodging network. Moose are abundant, and the fly-fishing, snowshoeing, hiking (Gulf Hagas is nearby), and backcountry skiing are excellent. There are canoes on several ponds, a swimming area on the Pleasant River (depending on water level and flow), and a convenient swimming hole. Well-maintained cabins from an 1870s logging camp that was later a sporting camp have woodstoves and gas lights. Home-cooked fare is served family-style in the lodge. The 1980s addition, like the bathhouse, has mostly solar-powered lighting.
- Address: About 16 mi east of Greenville, access via logging roads, Greenville, ME
- Phone: 603/466-2727
- Website: www.outdoors.org/mainelodges
- Location: Greenville
- 9 cabins, 12-bed bunkhouse.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Apr.--mid-May and Oct.--late Dec.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
Way too short, needless to say, but I think we got a lot in and saw some amazing locations, met very friendly people and ate some scrumptious food!
We were visiting family in Lynn, MA and drove north o Read more
A quick overview of where we ate during out 10 days on MDI
Morninglory Bakery Cafe is our favorite, we prefer quick, smallish breakfasts. Read more
My wife, daughter (age 18) and I are flying in to Boston/Logan mid afternoon July 5th and fly back out of Boston, early morning July 14, so I need to leave a day for seeing a few sites in Bosto Read more
· News & Features
This week (April 20-28) is National Parks Week, meaning visitors can enjoy the great outdoors sans entry... Read more
If you have favorite beaches on Maui, Jamaica, and St.... Read more
Kate Christensen, author of the recently released novel The Astral, takes us on a walking tour of endlessly... Read more