Fodor's Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire
Appalachian Mountain Club Maine Wilderness Lodges
At a Glance
- great for outdoors lovers
- far-from-the-crowds feel
- laid-back vibe
- winter access only by cross-country skis or snowmobile
Check Rates from our Partners
Appalachian Mountain Club Maine Wilderness Lodges Review
When you want to get away from it all, head to the Appalachian Mountain Club's 66,000 acres in Maine’s 100-Mile Wilderness—you have a choice of two historic sporting camp retreats, Gorman Chairback and Little Lyford. Both have rustic cabins with gaslights and woodstoves; Gorman Chairback also has four modern pine cabins with private baths. Each property has a woodsy main lodge with a fireplace, sitting area, and long tables where meals are served family-style. Moose are abundant, and the fly-fishing, canoeing, snowshoeing, and backcountry skiing are excellent. In winter most guests ski from lodge to lodge, often overnighting at both. Gorman Chairback sits right on Long Pond. Less expensive Little Lyford is near several ponds and the West Branch of the Pleasant River. The lodges are about 16 miles east of Greenville; access is by logging roads off Katahdin Iron Works Road.
- Address: Off Katahdin Iron Works Rd., Greenville, ME
- Phone: 603/466–2727
- Website: www.outdoors.org/lodging/mainelodges
- Location: Greenville
- Gorman Chairback: 12 cabins; Little Lyford: 9 cabins.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed mid-Mar.–mid-May and late Oct.–late Dec.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
An overdue trip report from our vacation last summer. Read more
Blithely ignoring the fact that we were driving to Virginia next day, my wife and I set out on a five hour (RT) road trip from Brookline, MA, to Brunswick, ME, to see an exhibit of Maurice Prendergast's Read more
Please help - my husband and I are flying for Scotland into Boston for a 14-day road trip and would welcome any suggestions, whether it be accommodation, routes, places to visit. Read more
· News & Features
A getaway over Martin Luther King, Jr., weekend (January 17–20, 2014) proposes the perfect remedy ... Read more
Portland, Maine has quietly launched one of the hottest restaurant scenes in the country.... Read more
From bustling waterfronts and dinners of delectable crustaceans to awe-inspiring hikes and strolls through... Read more