Little Lyford Lodge and Cabins
At a Glance
- woodsy getaway
- cedar sauna in winter
- loaner snowshoes
- winter access is by cross-country ski, snowshoe, or snowmobile transport (for a fee)
- few indoor amenities
Little Lyford Lodge and Cabins Review
When you want to get away from everything, head to this rustic wilderness retreat on 66,500 acres of conservation land, part of the Appalachian Mountain Club's lodging network. Moose are abundant, and the fly-fishing, snowshoeing, hiking (Gulf Hagas is nearby), and backcountry skiing are excellent. There are canoes on several ponds, a swimming area on the Pleasant River (depending on water level and flow), and a convenient swimming hole. Well-maintained cabins from an 1870s logging camp that was later a sporting camp have woodstoves and gas lights. Home-cooked fare is served family-style in the lodge. The 1980s addition, like the bathhouse, has mostly solar-powered lighting.
- Address: About 16 mi east of Greenville, access via logging roads, Greenville, ME
- Phone: 603/466–2727
- Website: www.outdoors.org/mainelodges
- Location: Greenville
- 9 cabins, 12-bed bunkhouse.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Apr.–mid-May and Oct.–late Dec.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Blithely ignoring the fact that we were driving to Virginia next day, my wife and I set out on a five hour (RT) road trip from Brookline, MA, to Brunswick, ME, to see an exhibit of Maurice Prendergast's Read more
and then some!
I am just back from my wonderful two weeks in New England, a destination that has become a regular for me in late summer for the past three years. It’s hard to imagine a lovelier place Read more
I will be driving Sunday Morning from Cosco Maine thru Portland all the way to NYC
any advice of an inside place to stop by not too far from the highways, could be in ME, Mass or Conn
Thank you Read more
· News & Features
Portland, Maine has quietly launched one of the hottest restaurant scenes in the country.... Read more
From bustling waterfronts and dinners of delectable crustaceans to awe-inspiring hikes and strolls through... Read more
It's a good bet that when summer reaches sticky hot temps, you start hankering for a toes-in-the-sand... Read more