One of the most important small museums in the country, much of its collection is devoted to Maine-related works of the famous Wyeth family: N. C. Wyeth, an accomplished illustrator whose works were featured in many turn-of-the-20th-century books; his late son Andrew, one of the country's best-known painters; and Andrew's son James, also an accomplished painter, who like his elders before him summers nearby. Galleries in the main building always display some of Andrew
Wyeth's works, such as The Patriot, Witchcraft, and Turkey Pond. The Wyeth Center, a former church, shows art by his father and son. The museum's collection also includes works by Fitz Henry Lane, George Bellows, Frank W. Benson, Edward Hopper (as watercolors, they may be "resting"), Louise Nevelson, and Fairfield Porter. Changing exhibits are shown in the Jamien Morehouse Wing. The Farnsworth Homestead, a handsome circa-1850 Greek Revival dwelling that's part of the museum, retains its original lavish Victorian furnishings and is open late June through mid-October.
In Cushing, a tiny town about 10 miles south of Thomaston on the St. George River, the museum operates the Olson House, which is depicted in Andrew Wyeth's famous painting Christina's World, as well as in other works by the artist. It's accessible by guided tour only.