Northeast Coast Sights

Advertisement

Lightner Museum

Lightner Museum Review

In his quest to turn Florida into an American Riviera, Henry Flagler built two fancy hotels in 1888: the Ponce de León, which became Flagler College, and the Alcazar, which closed during the Great Depression, was purchased by publisher Otto Lightner in 1946, and was donated to the city in 1948. It's now a museum with three floors of furnishings, costumes, Victorian art glass, not-to-be-missed ornate antique music boxes, and even an early 20th-century-era shrunken head from the Jivaro Indians of Ecuador. The Lightner Antiques Mall is on three levels of what was once the hotel's indoor pool. City staff occupy other floors since, apparently, the guest rooms of a former grand hotel also make nice municipal-government offices.

    Contact Information

  • Address: 75 King St., St. Augustine, FL, 32084 | Map It
  • Phone: 904/824–2874
  • Cost: $10
  • Hours: Museum daily 9–5, last admission at 4
  • Website:
  • Location: St. Augustine
Updated: 04-24-2014

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

· Map of Lightner Museum

Map of



Travel Deals
Forums