- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Dennis Hill State Park. Dr. Frederick Shepard Dennis, former owner of the 240 acres now making up the park, lavishly entertained guests, among them President William Howard Taft and several Connecticut governors, in the stone pavilion at the summit of the estate. From its 1,627-foot height, you can see Haystack Mountain, New Hampshire, and, on a clear day, New Haven harbor, all the way across the state. Picnic on the park's grounds or hike one of its many trails. Rte. 272, Norfolk, CT, 06058. 860/482-1817. www.ct.gov. Free. Daily 8 am-dusk.
Haystack Mountain State Park. One of the most spectacular views in the state can be seen from this park via its challenging trail to the top or a road halfway up. Rte. 272, Norfolk, CT, 06058. 860/482-1817.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston