- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fossil Trace Golf Club. Created by James Engh, this spectacular 18-hole course is set into an old quarry. You play along fairways that have been set into deep gouges in the earth created when the quarry was mined, and you hit past pillars of sandstone to reach some of the greens. Along the way, players can stop to look at fossils of triceratops' footprints in an aeons-old rock wall, and relics of old clay-mining equipment. The course is consistently ranked among the top courses by ESPN, Golf Digest, and local publications. 3050 Illinois St., Golden, CO, 80401. 303/277–8750. www.fossiltrace.com. 18 holes. 6831 yds. Par 72. Slope 138. Green Fee: $85 with cart, $68 walking. Facilities: Driving range, putting green, pitching area, golf carts, pull carts, rental clubs, pro-shop, golf academy/lessons, restaurant, bar.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's