- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Northern California 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Clift San Francisco
At a Glance
- good rates compared to similar top-tier hotels in San Francisco
- surreal, moody interior design
- ideal location for shopping and theaters
- close to public transportation
- discreet and helpful staff
- some guests note thin walls
- street noise
Check Rates from our Partners
Clift San Francisco Review
The entrance is so nondescript here, you could walk right past it without a hint of what's inside, and that's exactly how the clientle—a mix of hipsters, music-industry types, and celebrities—like it; hiding behind what is a seriously sexy hotel, the brainchild of entrepreneur Ian Schrager and artist-designer Philippe Starck. A moody, dramatically illuminated lobby is dominated by a gigantic Napoleonic chair that could accommodate Shaquille O'Neal, with room to spare. This theatrical staging is enhanced by surreal seating options like a leather love seat with buffalo tusks, all surrounding a floor-to-ceiling, pitch-black fireplace. Spacious rooms—as light as the lobby is darkly intriguing—have translucent orange Plexiglas tables, high ceilings, flat-screen TVs, and two huge "infinity" wall mirrors. Some visitors have remarked on the thin walls and advise booking a room on an upper-level floor to avoid street noise. The art-deco Redwood Room bar, paneled with wood from a 2,000-year-old tree, is known for its beautiful clientele. Asia de Cuba restaurant prepares an artful fusion of Asian and Latino cuisines.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
Long time lurker but only recently joined to get some advice about my up coming Canada trip so thought id share my USA experiance.
4 of us (21-25years old) flew in to LAX mid to late August, picked up Read more
I'm going alone to LA in just under two weeks and I'm going to spend half my time in Santa Monica then I've been recommended the other half in Huntington Beach. Read more
· News & Features
Book a night at one of these stylish, independently owned boutique hotels, located near major airports, ... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
With the cornucopia of cultural and tourism options in San Francisco, a fall weekend will fly by faste... Read more