- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Southern California 2014
Palomar Observatory Review
Atop 6,000-foot Palomar Mountain, the observatory is owned and operated by the California Institute of Technology, whose astronomy faculty conducts research here. The observatory houses the Hale Telescope, as well as 60-inch, 48-inch, 24-inch, 18-inch, and Snoop telescopes. Some of the most important astronomical discoveries of the 20th century were made here, and already in this century scientists using the observatory's 48-inch telescope have detected a 10th planet. For the time being, this most distant known object in the solar system, a body larger than fellow dwarf-planet Pluto, has been named Eris. The observatory closes without advance notice during inclement weather. Call in advance during winter. The small museum contains photos of some of these discoveries, as well as photos taken by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope and from recent NASA–European Space Agency missions to Mars and Saturn. A park with picnic areas surrounds the observatory.
- Address: Rte. S6 north of Rte. 76, east of I–15, 35899 Canfield Rd., Palomar Mountain, CA 92060 | Map It
- Phone: 760/742–2119
- Cost: Free, $5 guided tours
- Hours: Daily 9–4 during daylight savings time; 9–3 during standard time; guided tours weekends Apr.–Oct. at 11 and 1:30.
- Website: www.astro.caltech.edu/palomar
- Location: Palomar Mountain
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
Long time lurker but only recently joined to get some advice about my up coming Canada trip so thought id share my USA experiance.
4 of us (21-25years old) flew in to LAX mid to late August, picked up Read more
My family and I are going to spend time in California this summer. Read more
· News & Features
You're familiar with California's wine country, sure, but have you experienced beer country? ... Read more
Top Chef star Brian Malarkey, gearing up to open a new hotel restaurant at the trendy Mondrian Los Angeles,... Read more
Dining on garden-fresh veggies and the catch of the day is nothing new in San Diego.... Read more