- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Glen Canyon Dam National Recreation Area
Glen Canyon Dam National Recreation Area Review
Once you leave the Page business district heading northwest, the Glen Canyon Dam National Recreation Area and Lake Powell behind it immediately become visible. This concrete-arch dam—all 5 million cubic feet of it—was completed in September 1963, its power plant an engineering feat that rivaled the Hoover Dam. The dam's crest is 1,560 feet across and rises 710 feet from bedrock and 583 feet above the waters of the Colorado River. When Lake Powell is full, it's 560 feet deep at the dam. The plant generates some 1.3 million kilowatts of electricity when each generator's 40-ton shaft is producing nearly 200,000 horsepower. Power from the dam serves a five-state grid consisting of Colorado, Arizona, Utah, California, and New Mexico, and provides energy for more than 1.5 million users.
With only 8 inches of annual rainfall, the Lake Powell area enjoys blue skies nearly year-round. Summer temperatures range from the 60s to the 90s. Fall and spring are usually balmy, with daytime temperatures often in the 70s and 80s, but chilly weather can set in. Nights are cool even in summer, and in winter the risk of a cold spell increases, but all-weather houseboats and tour boats make for year-round cruising.
Boaters and campers should note that regulations require the use of portable toilets on the lake and lakeshore to prevent water pollution.
- Address: U.S. 89, 2 miles northwest of townPage, AZ 86040 | Map It
- Phone: 928/608-6200
- Cost: $15 per vehicle or $7 per person (entering on foot or by bicycle), good for up to 7 days; $16 per wk boating fee
- Hours: Visitor center: June--Aug., daily 8--6; Sept.--Oct. and Mar.--May, daily 8--5; Nov.--Feb., daily 8:30--4:30
- Website: www.nps.gov/glca
- Location: Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $114-$129 -- Scottsdale: AAA 4-Diamond Resort, Save 40% Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
- $79 -- Arizona: Weekends at Hillside Tempe Hotel, Reg. $169 Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
- $71 -- Weekends at Tucson Hotel, Save 25% — $71 Courtyard Tucson Williams Centre
- $89 -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 60% Off — $89 The Westin Phoenix Downtown
- $106-$114 -- Phoenix 4-Star Resort, 30% Off — $106-$114 Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
Will be driving (with my wife & two small kids) from Malibu to Santa Fe in a couple of weeks. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side,... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more