- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Arizona & the Grand Canyon 2014
Glen Canyon Dam National Recreation Area
Glen Canyon Dam National Recreation Area Review
Once you leave the Page business district heading northwest, the Glen Canyon Dam National Recreation Area and Lake Powell behind it immediately become visible. This concrete-arch dam—all 5 million cubic feet of it—was completed in September 1963, its power plant an engineering feat that rivaled the Hoover Dam. The dam's crest is 1,560 feet across and rises 710 feet from bedrock and 583 feet above the waters of the Colorado River. When Lake Powell is full, it's 560 feet deep at the dam. The plant generates some 1.3 million kilowatts of electricity when each generator's 40-ton shaft is producing nearly 200,000 horsepower. Power from the dam serves a five-state grid consisting of Colorado, Arizona, Utah, California, and New Mexico, and provides energy for more than 1.5 million users.
With only 8 inches of annual rainfall, the Lake Powell area enjoys blue skies nearly year-round. Summer temperatures range from the 60s to the 90s. Fall and spring are usually balmy, with daytime temperatures often in the 70s and 80s, but chilly weather can set in. Nights are cool even in summer, and in winter the risk of a cold spell increases, but all-weather houseboats and tour boats make for year-round cruising.
Boaters and campers should note that regulations require the use of portable toilets on the lake and lakeshore to prevent water pollution.
- Address: U.S. 89, 2 miles northwest of town Page, AZ 86040 | Map It
- Phone: 928/608–6200
- Cost: $15 per vehicle or $7 per person (entering on foot or by bicycle), good for up to 7 days; $16 per wk boating fee
- Hours: Visitor center: June–Aug., daily 8–6; Sept.–Oct. and Mar.–May, daily 8–5; Nov.–Feb., daily 8:30–4:30
- Website: www.nps.gov/glca
- Location: Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Link to my photos
Sorry---Lots of food pics
Even though our quick weekend get away started out on the wrong foot, we ended up having a grea Read more
In April 2013, my husband and I did a Utah and Arizona Grand Circle tour-covering the Grand Canyon, the Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, Natural Bridges National Monument, The Needles and the Island Read more
Family of 4 planning to visit the AC next monday 21st April. Read more
· News & Features
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more