- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Centre Bell Review
The Montréal Canadiens haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1993, and most of the team's fans can't remember the golden 1960s and '70s when Les Glorieux virtually owned the trophy. The superstitious blame the team's fallen fortunes on its 1996 move from the hallowed Forum to the brown-brick Centre Bell arena. Still, Montréal is a hockey-mad city and the Habs, as locals call the team, are still demigods here. When they celebrated their 100th season in 2009-10, the city changed the name of the strip of rue de la Gauchetière in front of the Centre Bell to av des Canadiens-de-Montréal. Don't miss the square on the west side of the arena, which has been turned into a shrine to the team's glorious history, with plaques commemorating the Canadiens' record 24 Stanley Cups and life-size action statues of such hockey heroes as Maurice "Rocket" Richard and Guy Lafleur.
Montréal Canadiens Hall of Fame. The team opened the 10,000-square-foot museum inside the Centre Bell, where you can view relics of the team's past and even visit a replica of the Habs' 1976-77 locker room. The Hall of Fame also organizes tours of the Centre Bell (C$6), complete with a visit to the alumni lounge, press gallery, and, depending on the schedule, the current dressing room. It's wise to call in advance to make sure tours will be operating as they're sometimes postponed on short notice. 1909 av. des Canadiens-de-Montréal, H4B 5G0. 514/925-7777. hall.canadiens.com. C$11. Tues.-Sat. 10-6, Sun. noon-5. On game days doors close two hours before beginning of game. Bonaventure.
- Address: 1260 av. des Canadiens-de-Montréal, Downtown, Montréal, QC H4B 5G0 | Map It
- Phone: 877/668-8269; 514/790-2525 for hockey tickets; 800/663-6786; 514/932-2582 for other events
- Website: www.centrebell.ca
- Metro Bonaventure or Lucien-l'Allier.
- Location: Downtown, Golden Square Mile, and Chinatown
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- $275 -- Montreal: 4-Diamond Downtown Hotel over Pride Week W Montreal
- CA$169-$197 -- Downtown Montreal Hotel incl. Breakfast Residence Inn Montreal Downtown
- $649 & up -- 7-Night New England Cruise on Holland America American Express Travel
- $150 & up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% Off — $150 Le Westin Montreal
Didn't find much info/tips for this event weekend so thought I'd post a quick one for future lurkers. Read more
We spent a delightful week this October in Canada and I thought it would be nice to share given the limited number of postings for both Montreal and Quebec City.
First, let me say that this trip was i Read more
Flying into Montreal--What is the best way to get to Quebec City??? How many days --Short trip-Sat to Tuesday Read more
· News & Features
Summer is the best time to explore Canada's expanses by car—the snow is gone, wildflowers are i... Read more
Nothing is as hot in Canada in wintertime as the Montreal en Lumiere festival.... Read more
Whether it's a bachelorette party or a gaggle of girls who are looking to get away, we've got just the... Read more