- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fodor's Montreal & Quebec City 2014
Centre Bell Review
The Montréal Canadiens haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1993, and most of the team's fans can't remember the golden 1960s and '70s, when Les Glorieux virtually owned the trophy. The superstitious blame the team's fallen fortunes on its 1996 move from the hallowed Forum to the brown-brick Centre Bell arena. Still, Montréal is a hockey-mad city and the Habs, as locals call the team, are still demigods here. (When they celebrated their 100th season in 2009–10, the city changed the name of the strip of rue de la Gauchetière in front of the Centre Bell to av des Canadiens-de-Montréal.) Don't miss the square on the west side of the arena, which has been turned into a shrine to the team's glorious history, with plaques commemorating the Canadiens' record 24 Stanley Cups and life-size statues of such hockey heroes as Maurice "Rocket" Richard and Guy Lafleur.
Montréal Canadiens Hall of Fame. A visit to this 10,000-square-foot museum, devoted to Montréal's beloved hockey team, includes relics of the team's past and even visit a replica of the Habs' 1976–77 locker room. The Hall of Fame also organizes tours of the Centre Bell (C$6), complete with a visit to the alumni lounge, press gallery, and, depending on the schedule, the current dressing room. It's wise to call in advance to make sure tours will be operating: they're sometimes postponed on short notice. Centre Bell, 1909 av. des Canadiens-de-Montréal, H4B 5G0. 514/925–7777. hall.canadiens.com. C$11. Tues.–Sat. 10–6, Sun. noon–5. On game days doors close two hours before beginning of game. Bonaventure.
- Address: 1260 av. des Canadiens-de-Montréal, Downtown, Montréal, QC H4B 5G0 | Map It
- Phone: 877/668–8269; 514/790–2525 for hockey tickets; 800/663–6786; 514/932–2582 for other events
- Website: www.centrebell.ca
- Metro Bonaventure or Lucien-l'Allier.
- Location: Downtown and the Golden Square Mile
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
On September 24, my husband and I drove from New York to Montreal for a ten day trip to Montreal and Quebec City. Read more
Just returned yesterday from a great two-day visit to Montréal. Read more
My friends and are getting close to graduation, and have begun plotting out our graduation present to ourselves - a roadtrip. Read more
· News & Features
Winter in Montréal can be brutal—and beautiful. ... Read more
Summer is the best time to explore Canada's expanses by car—the snow is gone, wildflowers are i... Read more
Nothing is as hot in Canada in wintertime as the Montreal en Lumiere festival.... Read more