- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Parc Lafontaine Review
You could say that Parc Lafontaine is a microcosm of Montréal: the eastern half is French, with paths, gardens, and lawns laid out in geometric shapes; the western half is English, with meandering paths and irregularly shaped ponds that follow the natural contours of the land. In summer you can take advantage of bowling greens, tennis courts, an open-air theater (Théâtre de Verdure) where there are free arts events, and two artificial lakes with paddleboats. In winter one lake becomes a large skating rink. The park is named for Sir Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine (1807-64), a pioneer of responsible government in Canada. His statue graces a plot on the park's southwestern edge.
- Address: 3933 av. Parc Lafontaine, Plateau Mont-Royal, Montréal, QC | Map It
- Phone: 514/872-9800
- Hours: Daily 9 am--10 pm
- Metro Sherbrooke or Mont-Royal.
- Location: The Plateau, Outremont, Mile End, and Little Italy
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Discover Montreal with AirCanada! 23 Routes From $296 DealBase
- $177.00 & up : 5-star hotels in Montreal Hotwire
- 3-Star Marriott Residence Inn Montreal Airport Fr $188+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $20/night less
- Look no Further! Montreal 5 Nts + Air as Low as $2,091 Travelocity
- $9.95 & up : Compact rentals in Montreal Hotwire
We spent a delightful week this October in Canada and I thought it would be nice to share given the limited number of postings for both Montreal and Quebec City.
First, let me say that this trip was i Read more
We recently traveled to Quebec City and stayed at a B&B in Levis, CA, which is across the river from Quebec City. Read more
We'd love to go to a rodeo this summer while we are on our Canadian travels! Actually, anything that we might not do in the States (or Netherlands where the inlaws are coming from) would Read more
· News & Features
Nothing is as hot in Canada in wintertime as the Montreal en Lumiere festival.... Read more
Whether it's a bachelorette party or a gaggle of girls who are looking to get away, we've got just the... Read more
North America may be slow on the bike sharing uptake, but the rest of the world has already fallen fo... Read more