- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fort George National Historic Site
Fort George National Historic Site Review
On a wide stretch of parkland south of town sits this fort that was built in the 1790s but lost to the Yankees during the War of 1812. It was recaptured after the burning of the town in 1813 and largely survived the war, only to fall into ruins by the 1830s. Thankfully, it was reconstructed a century later, and you can explore the officers' quarters, the barracks rooms of the common soldiers, the kitchen, and more. Staff in period uniform conduct tours and reenact 19th-century infantry and artillery drills.
- Address: Queens Parade, Niagara Pkwy., Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0 | Map It
- Phone: 905/468–4257
- Cost: C$11.70 (C$5.90 parking)
- Hours: Mar., Sat.–Sun. noon–4; Apr. and Nov. Sat.–Sun. 10–5; May.–Oct. daily 10–5
- Website: www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/index.aspx
- Location: Niagara-on-the-Lake
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just a short (I hope) trip report of my recent trip to Northern Ontario.
The primary purpose of this trip was to do the Agawa Canyon Train Tour.
The Agawa Canyon is a scenic area north of Sault Ste. Marie Read more
My husband and I are planning to take a trip in the fall from Nova Scotia to Niagara Falls, Ontario by way of USA. Read more
My friends and are getting close to graduation, and have begun plotting out our graduation present to ourselves - a roadtrip. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more