- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Lake Pátzcuaro Review
The tranquil shores of Lake Pátzcuaro are a 10-minute cab ride from downtown. There are two different muelles (docks) from which you can catch a boat to Janítzio, but you should head to the central muelle, which offers far more service. Before or after your trip, stop at one of the lakeside restaurants, which serve fresh pescado blanco (whitefish) and other local catches. Wooden launches with room for 25 people (but that rarely take that many) depart for Janítzio and the other islands daily 9-5. Purchase round-trip tickets for $4 at a dockside office (prices are controlled by the tourist department).
It is absolutely worthwhile to visit La Pacanda—far more worthwhile, in fact, than Janítzio, the largest of Lake Pátzcuaro's five islands. La Pacanda is a quiet and peaceful island: amazing flowers abound, cows laze about, and the few inhabitants of the island go about their daily activities—which do not include trying to sell you garish souvenirs. La Pacanda might be even more idyllic than tiny Yunuen, but you won't want to stay more than an hour or so. At Yunuen, on the other hand—which also provides a clear picture of island life—you can arrange an overnight stay in simple yet clean visitor cabins.
- Address: Pátzcuaro,
- Location: Pátzcuaro
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $80 -- Wyndham Cabo San Lucas Resort, Incl. 25% Meals CheapCaribbean.com
- $115-$149 -- Cancun: 4-Star Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Riviera Maya Adult-Only Resort w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 -- New Ship to Cozumel on 6-Night Cruise MSC Cruises
- $3.42 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com
Me and my husband are travelling from Uk to Mexico city beginning of September for 3 weeks.
We need to decide where to go, we don't want to stay in Mexico city. We want a bit of sightseeing, Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's ... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more