San Miguel de Allende and the Heartland Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fábrica La Aurora
Fábrica La Aurora. A 10-minute walk from the center of town, Fábrica La Aurora, which was established in 1902, was the principal source of fine-quality muslin in the region until competition forced its closing. Decades later, it reopened as exhibition spaces for art galleries and antique- and modern-furniture showrooms; also, many local artists have opened studios here.
The concentration of art galleries draws visitors in huge numbers. The Generator Gallery, complete with the Fábrica's original generator, features San Miguel artists and contemporary art. Galerie La Piccola represents two other local artists—Peter Leventhal, whose exuberant paintings are often based on classical themes, and Terra Mizwa, who creates classically inspired bronze and terra-cotta sculptures. Galería Florencia Riestra is owned by one of Mexico City's leading galleries. The folks at Pepe Cerroblanco are locally revered jewelry designers working with modernistic designs in silver and precious stones.
Planning to decorate? You will find inspiration from the past in the numerous antiques shops, including Cantadora and La Buhardilla, with their superb collection of Mexican colonial objets d'art. Rachel Horn, Sisal, Atrium, and C.DeWayne Youts are the showrooms of some of San Miguel's most inspired interior designers. La Bottega di Casa sells jacquard cottons, fine linens, Capodimonte ceramics, alabaster vases, and traditional pewter from Italy.
If you're shopped out and hungry, head for the Food Factory with its Old World character and comfortable sofas under a covered patio. Or pick up a snack at the outdoor Café de la Aurora coffee shop. Calzada de la Aurora s/n, El Centro, San Miguel de Allende, 37700.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star y Suites Galeria Fr $79+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts in Morelia Fr $75+/Nt Expedia
- Morelia Savings! Book at Diana del Bosque Fr $40+/Nt — $40 Expedia
- Limited Time Offer!: Fiesta Inn Morelia in Jun — $62 Expedia
- Book the Los Juaninos 3 Nts in Jun Fr $105+/Nt — $105 Expedia