Fishing in Puerto Escondido
The most common catches off Puerto Escondido are swordfish, marlin, tuna, and dorado. Fiestas de Noviembre, when anglers compete for prizes, is held the entire month of November. Prices for fishing tours run around $35 to $40 an hour, with a minimum of three hours (four people maximum). Many local fishermen expect to keep your catch as partial payment for their services, so discuss this with the captain ahead of time.
Omar's Sportfishing will take you out on a four-hour tour of the best fishing spots for about $160 for up to four people. They also have dolphin-watching tours that last about two to three hours and cost $35 per person. Playa Puerto Angelito, Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, 71980. 954/559–4406.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's