- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Cancún's Best Beaches
Offering 22½ km (14 miles) of accessible coastline, Cancún abounds with postcard-worthy beaches that beckon outdoor enthusiasts of every ilk. The warm weather and inviting water make it ideal for anyone in search of sunshine, adventure, and relaxation.
It's virtually impossible to find a bad beach here—they all have turquoise waters and powdery white sand. In general, beaches on the northwestern side tend to have calmer waters and softer sand than those facing the Caribbean. The sand is made up of microscopic star-shape fossils called discoasters, with a light and fluffy texture that stays cool underfoot, even when the sun is beating down. By law, the entire coast of Mexico is federal property and open to the public. Everyone is welcome as long as you enter and exit from one of the public points. The problem is these points are often miles apart. One way around the situation is to find a hotel that's open to the public, go into the lobby bar for a drink or snack, and then head to the beach for a swim.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe