- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Lago de Yojoa
The largest natural lake in the country, shimmering Lago de Yojoa is home to an amazing variety of birds. Upwards of 400 different species are found in the moss-draped trees, from black-bellied whistling ducks and blue-crowned motmots to red-legged honeycreepers and keel-billed toucans. For even more unusual sights, you can grab a pair of binoculars and hire a boat to Isla del Venado.
With a name that means means "eye of water," Lago de Yojoa was once populated by Lenca, Maya, and other peoples. There are many ruins, the most significant being Los Naranjos on the northwest shore. Excavations were stalled for lack of funds but now seem to be back on track. Of course, the main draw of the lake is purely recreational. There are many untouched natural areas around the lake, and it is less well known than other tourist destinations. There are all kinds of trips you can take out onto the lake, the most popular being by catamaran.
Boating is one of everybody's favorite activities here, and getting out on the lake gives you a better view for spotting birds than staying on land. Boat rental is informal, usually nothing more than a guy-and-his-rowboat operation along the lakeshore. Your best bet is to ask at one of the local hotels for recommendations.
Lago de Yojoa at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $60-$96 -- Cancun All-Inclusive Water Park Resort, 60% Off BookIt.com
- $84 -- Puerto Vallarta Adults-Only All-Incl. Resort, 50% Off Bookit.com
- $689 & up -- Mexico Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $4.39 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com