The Pacific Lowlands Feature
Top Reasons to Go
Zoning out at the beach: Guatemala's sights assault your senses. A break at the beach town of Monterrico might be the relaxing antidote the doctor ordered.
Pondering the mystery of the sea turtles: The odds seem against Guatemala's three turtle species surviving at all, but carry on they do along this coast.
Reeling in the big one: Or brag about the one that got away. Guatemala's sportfishing industry centers on Puerto San José.
Careening down the rapids: The Pacific lowlands are home to four white-water rivers ideal for beginner or intermediate rafters.
Building up your repertoire of Mayan ruins: You've done the big ruins. Two lesser-known sites, both with considerable Mexican influence, let you delve further into Mayan history.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe