- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Guatemala government tourism office INGUAT has branches in Panajachel, open daily 9 to 5, and in Quetzaltenango, open weekdays 9 to 5 and Saturday 9 to 1. The staff at the office in Panajachel is particularly helpful. An Internet café does double duty as Chichicastenango's tourist office, and is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday 10-noon and 2-6; Thursday 8-noon and 2-6; and Sunday 8-2.
To minimize risks to you, both natural and manmade, any nature-related excursion should be undertaken with an organized tour operator who knows the region and takes proper security precautions.
INGUAT. Edificio San Rafael, C. Santander, Panajachel. 7762-1106. Casa de la Cultura, Parque Centro América, 7 Calle 11-35, Zona 1, Quetzaltenango. 7761-4931.
Oficina de Información Turística. 7 Calle at 5 Av., Chichicastenango. 7756-0222.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore