- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Guatemala government tourism office INGUAT has branches in Panajachel, open daily 9 to 5, and in Quetzaltenango, open weekdays 9 to 5 and Saturday 9 to 1. The staff at the office in Panajachel is particularly helpful. An Internet café does double duty as Chichicastenango's tourist office, and is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday 10–noon and 2–6; Thursday 8–noon and 2–6; and Sunday 8–2.
To minimize risks to you, both natural and manmade, any nature-related excursion should be undertaken with an organized tour operator who knows the region and takes proper security precautions.
INGUAT. Edificio San Rafael, C. Santander, Panajachel. 7762-1106. Casa de la Cultura, Parque Centro America, 7 Calle 11-35, Zona 1, Quetzaltenango. 7761-4931.
Oficina de Informacion Turistica. 7 Calle at 5 Av., Chichicastenango. 7756-0222.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe