- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Catedral Santiago de Guatemala
Catedral Santiago de Guatemala Review
Built between 1778 and 1867, Guatemala City's cathedral replaced the old Catedral de Santiago Apóstol in Antigua, destroyed in that city's 1773 earthquake. The structure is a rare example of colonial architecture in the Old City. Standing steadfast on the eastern end of the Plaza Mayor, it is one of the city's most enduring landmarks, having survived the capital's numerous 20th-century earthquakes. The ornate altars hold outstanding examples of colonial religious art, including an image of the Virgen de la Asunción, the city's patron saint.
Off a courtyard on the cathedral's south side—enter through the church—stands the Museo de la Arquidiócesis de Santiago Guatemala, the archdiocesan museum with a small collection of colonial religious art and artifacts.
- Address: 8 Calle and 7 Av., Zona 1 Guatemala City, 01001
- Phone: 2232–7621; 2232–2527 museum
- Cost: Free, Q20 for museum
- Hours: Cathedral: Mon.–Sat. 7–1 and 2–6, Sun. 7–6; museum: Mon.–Fri. 9–1 and 2–5, Sat. 9–1 and 2–4; closed Sun.
- Website: www.catedraldeguatemala.org
- Location: The Old City
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I've just returned from a fantastic 10 day adventure to Belize and wanted to share my trip report since reading so many of these before I went was so helpful.
i put off for too long shopping for a new Read more
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
For anyone who has been to both Chan Chich and Bosque del Cabo, how did you think the two compared? Read more
· News & Features
While an infinity-edge pool that glints under the sun is fabulous, nothing beats a private pool you need ... Read more
After reading these five reasons to actually stop in Guatemala (think roasting marshmallows on a volcano,... Read more
Reading trip reports from other travelers can be an invaluable resource for planning your next vacation.... Read more