- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Catedral Santiago de Guatemala
Catedral Santiago de Guatemala Review
Built between 1778 and 1867, Guatemala City's cathedral replaced the old Catedral de Santiago Apóstol in Antigua, destroyed in that city's 1773 earthquake. The structure is a rare example of colonial architecture in the Old City. Standing steadfast on the eastern end of the Plaza Mayor, it is one of the city's most enduring landmarks, having survived the capital's numerous 20th-century earthquakes. The ornate altars hold outstanding examples of colonial religious art, including an image of the Virgen de la Asunción, the city's patron saint.
Off a courtyard on the cathedral's south side—enter through the church—stands the Museo de la Arquidiócesis de Santiago Guatemala, the archdiocesan museum with a small collection of colonial religious art and artifacts.
- Address: 8 Calle and 7 Av., Zona 1, Guatemala City, 01001
- Phone: 2232-7621; 2232-2527 museum
- Cost: Free, Q20 for museum
- Hours: Cathedral: Mon.--Sat. 7--1 and 2--6, Sun. 7--6; museum: Mon.--Fri. 9--1 and 2--5, Sat. 9--1 and 2--4; closed Sun.
- Website: www.catedraldeguatemala.org
- Location: The Old City
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Radisson Guatemala City Fr $96+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Guatemala City for Less: Hotels Fr $115+/Nt Travelocity
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Crowne Plaza Guatemala Fr $112+/Nt — $112 Expedia
- Visit Guatemala City for Less: Hotels Fr $80+/Nt — $80 Travelocity
- Small budget: Stay in Guatemala City this May Fr $106+/Nt — $106 Expedia
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
2 weeks in Belize was not enough to explore the entire country, but we got a taste of it and we know we will go back for more!
I will not go into a lot of details, but I got a lot of help from this forum Read more
Planning a 8 day trip to Belize in August with 2 teens (16 and 19). Read more
· News & Features
After reading these five reasons to actually stop in Guatemala (think roasting marshmallows on a volcano,... Read more
Reading trip reports from other travelers can be an invaluable resource for planning your next vacation.... Read more
The best way to experience the incomparable Maya ruins is to get up just before the birds do, from a hotel... Read more