- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Exotica Restaurant Review
In the tiny French-Canadian enclave of Ojochal, this intimate thatch-roofed restaurant, where 10 tables are encased in greenery, has been serving superb French-inspired fare for more than a decade. You'll be warmly welcomed by Lucy, the restaurant's chic and charming owner. For starters, there's a tangy and refreshing avocado, pineapple, lime, and cilantro appetizer, or an intriguing Tahitian fish carpaccio with bananas. Don't miss out on a hearty serving of fish or shrimp in a banana-curry sauce, or a spicy Vietnamese chicken soup. French favorites include cognac liver pâté and a pricey but excellent duck breast with orange sauce. Presentation is artistic, with garnishes of flowers and sprigs of exotic greenery. Desserts are all homemade, luscious, and reasonably priced. Chocoholics won't want to miss the chocolate chiffon cake with chocolate sauce and an accompanying shot glass of cocoa liqueur.
- Address: Main road into Ojochal, off Costanera Highway Ojochal, 60504
- Phone: 2786–5050
- Location: Ballena Marine National Park
- Reservations essential.
- Closed Sun.; Sept. and Oct. No lunch.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Diving amongst a vast school of hammerhead sharks in the Cocos Island of Costa Rica is accessible to experienced scuba divers or to the general traveller aboard a dive submersible. Read more
Pat Hewitt of Costa Rica Travel Exchange planned our great trip to Costa Rica. Read more
I am having a difficult time deciding on an itinerary for our 8 days in costa rica. Read more
· News & Features
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism. ... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more
Costa Rica's main draws are firmly rooted in its landscapes—rainforests, beaches, mountains, and... Read more