La Ensenada Lodge
At a Glance
- interesting setting
- good value
- very simple rooms
- large tour groups at times
- no air-conditioning
Check Rates from our Partners
La Ensenada Lodge Review
Part of a national wildlife refuge, this is the most comfortable and affordable base for bird-watching, crocodile spotting, and nature appreciation on this side of the Río Tempisque. The 1,000-acre property is also a cattle ranch and salt producer, with nearby salt flats and a freshwater lagoon that attract wading birds (and crocodiles that snack on them). The hotel also organizes boat tours through the Abangares mangroves and alongside Palo Verde National Park. The wood cabins are modest but comfortable, with verandas and big screened windows that let the light and breeze in. But because most of them are duplexes, they don't afford a lot of privacy, so ask if you can get a freestanding one. The rancho restaurant serves buffet-style Italian and Costa Rican meals, including beef raised on the ranch.
- Address: Take the signed turnoff at Km 155 of the Pan-America Hwy. and drive along a gravel road, about 13 km/8 mi southwest to the lodge, Palo Verde National Park | Map It
- Phone: /2289–6655
- Website: www.laensenada.net
- Location: Palo Verde National Park
- 25 cabin rooms
- Rate includes no meals.
- No credit cards.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's