- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
La Ensenada Lodge
At a Glance
- interesting setting
- good value
- very simple rooms
- large tour groups at times
- no air-conditioning
Check Rates from our Partners
La Ensenada Lodge Review
Part of a national wildlife refuge, this is the most comfortable and affordable base for bird-watching, crocodile spotting, and nature appreciation on this side of the Río Tempisque. The 1,000-acre property is also a cattle ranch and salt producer, with nearby salt flats and a freshwater lagoon that attract wading birds (and crocodiles that snack on them). The hotel also organizes boat tours through the Abangares mangroves and alongside Palo Verde National Park. The wood cabins are modest but comfortable, with verandas and big screened windows that let the light and breeze in. But because most of them are duplexes, they don't afford a lot of privacy, so ask if you can get a freestanding one. The rancho restaurant serves buffet-style Italian and Costa Rican meals, including beef raised on the ranch.
- Address: Take the signed turnoff at Km 155 of the Pan-America Hwy. and drive along a gravel road, about 13 km/8 mi southwest to the lodge, Palo Verde National Park | Map It
- Phone: 2289–6655
- Website: www.laensenada.net
- Location: Palo Verde National Park
- 25 cabin rooms.
- Rate includes no meals.
- No credit cards.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We returned a couple of weeks ago from a wonderful family trip to Costa Rica and Panama. Read more
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
My husband & I are planning to take a 3-4 week vacation with our daughter in September 2014 (she will be 2.5 yrs old). We've had a particularly stressful year and want to have a nice, relaxing time Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo,... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more