Central Valley Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

Iglesia de Ujarrás

Iglesia de Ujarrás Review

Continue past the dam into the small hamlet of Ujarrás, then follow the signs to the site of the romantic ruins of Costa Rica's first church. An unlikely Spanish victory in 1666 over a superior force of invading British pirates was attributed to a stop here to ask for God's protection and blessing. The church was constructed in thanksgiving to honor of the Virgin of Ujarrás. The church, together with the surrounding village, was abandoned in 1833 after a series of earthquakes and floods wreaked havoc here, the lowest point of the Orosi Valley. Today the impressive, often-photographed ruins sit in a beautifully maintained park with lawns, flower gardens, and a pretty picnic area. A final, scenic 6-km (4-mile) winding drive to Paraíso from Ujarrás completes the road that loops the valley. Visitors fill the site on weekends; weekdays, you'll likely have the place to yourself.

    Contact Information

  • Address: In a small park, 1 km (½ mile) from Restaurante Típico Ujarrás, Orosi, 30204
  • Phone: 2574–8366
  • Cost: Free
  • Hours: Daily 6–6
  • Location: The Orosi Valley
Updated: 04-05-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories