- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
At a Glance
- gorgeous views, forest, and sunsets
- good food
- abundant insects
- lots of stairs
- not a good choice if you're looking for action
- 20 minutes to nearest beach
Check Rates from our Partners
Villa Caletas Review
Perched 1,200 feet above the sea on a promontory south of Punta Leona, these elegant rooms sequestered in the jungle have jaw-dropping views of the surrounding foliage and sea below. Spectacular sunset views should be enjoyed from the bar, even if you stay elsewhere. Freestanding suites and villas are gorgeous, but rooms in the main building are far inferior; if a villa isn't within your budget, do try to get a deluxe room. Victorian, French Colonial, and Hellenistic motifs are combined throughout, with Ionic columns, varied artwork, cookie-cutter trims, and cane chairs. The regular pool is rather small and chilly, but the Zephyr Palace complex has an impressive infinity pool with amazing views. The closest beach, Playa Caletas, is attractive, but small and rocky. Though a great place for romance or relaxation, this hotel has little to offer kids or active travelers.
- Address: Off coastal hwy., 3 km (1½ miles) south of Punta Leona, on right, Tárcoles, 61102 | Map It
- Phone: 2637–0505; 2257–3653 in San José
- Website: www.hotelvillacaletas.com
- Location: Between Tárcoles and Playa Herradura
- 33 rooms, 13 villas, 6 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
Dear Gate One Travel,
I recently returned from a trip booked with Gate One Travel with my family to Costa Rica and wanted to share our experience.
Reservation # 678910 10 Day Classic Costa Rica with Manuel Read more
Hello! Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, ... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more