- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Benny's Kitchen Review
This little open-air restaurant near Xunantunich has won many fans who come for hearty Mayan, Mestizo, and Creole dishes at rock-bottom prices. You'll find mostly locals here, many from San Ignacio, Benque Viejo, and other parts of Cayo District. Most items on the menu are BZ$12 or less, including chilimole (chicken with mole sauce), cow-foot soup, Belizean escabeche, and stew pork with rice, beans, and plantains. You can make a meal of the Mestizo appetizers including salbutes, tostadas, and empanadas, most under BZ$1 each. The classic Mayan pibil (pork cooked in an underground oven) is sometimes on the menu. The banana and mango licuados (milk shakes) are delicious, and you can also enjoy the official national drinks of Belize, Belikin and Fanta.
- Address: Across Benque Rd., (George Price Hwy.) from ferry to Xunantunich San José Succotz
- Phone: 823/2541
- Location: The Cayo District
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi, all -
My husband Mike and I just returned from our 4th wonderful visit to Belize. Read more
I've just returned from a fantastic 10 day adventure to Belize and wanted to share my trip report since reading so many of these before I went was so helpful.
i put off for too long shopping for a new Read more
Driving in July2014 to Belize, with our granddaughter, dog and slide on Camper. Read more
· News & Features
Tired of following the pack?... Read more
Considering a trip to Belize? Here are four of our favorite experiences for a memorable “su... Read more
Travelers to Belize will find a fairy-tale landscape of white-sand beaches, lush rain forests, and soaring... Read more